Last night, Chris Brogan, Amber Naslund, Lizz and myself were at one of those social media speaker
suck-up dinners. We found the following ways to amuse ourselves during an otherwise stiff uneventful dinner party.
- After they remove the salad plates, hide all flatware, placemats and napkins. Look longingly at the other place settings.
- After receiving a new place setting, add all of your previous settings to this one or, as we did, give them all to one person and let them determine which of nine forks to use. When we did this, our waiter’s head literally did a loop like in a cartoon.
- Change the names of the menu items very slightly. If waitstaff hear only a few recognizable syllables, they will generally bring you the correct item. We ordered the Creepy Sea Bass and Scared NY Strip. And for dessert? The Creme Brutale.
- Ask for ketchup no matter what you’ve ordered. Especially in an upscale restaurant.
- Find a way to use up all the ketchup and order more.
What ways can you think of to perplex waitstaff?